- County Government
- Departments J-Q
- Public Health
- Environmental Health Services
- Septic Permits & Evaluations
Septic Permits & Evaluations
The Environmental Health program maintains records for on-site sewage disposal systems in Muskegon County. Individuals with questions about their system, or who are trying to locate their system should call 231-724-6208.
Muskegon County has had minimum installation standards in place for on-site sewage disposal systems since 1956. Improperly located and/or sized systems are known to cause disease outbreaks and contamination to drinking water supplies and surface water.
A permit is required for the following:
- Installation of a new on-site sewage disposal system.
- Replacement of an existing sewage disposal system.
- Addition to an existing sewage disposal system.
- Muskegon County Sanitary (Code) Regulations (PDF)
- Septic Tank Waste Disposal Rules and Regulations (PDF)
- Water Supply and Sewer Systems (Part 127 of Public Health Code)
Existing Septic System Evaluations
Existing system evaluations are available for a fee. The evaluation is desirable for property buyers utilizing on-site sewage disposal systems to ensure the system is in good working order. An existing system evaluation includes a written description of the system, and judgment on whether the system construction is adequate.
Tank integrity, the presence of a baffle and overall size and depth of the system are taken into consideration. The absorption field is probed to determine if solids are beginning to limit capacity. When the system operation is questionable, the sanitarian will drill bore holes into the drainfield to determine if it is under pressure, or if a biomat is restricting infiltration.
- Well - Water Quality - Septic Evaluation Application (PDF)
- Well - Water Quality - Septic Evaluation Instructions (PDF)
- Well - Water Quality - Septic Evaluation Supplemental Report Application (PDF)
For more information, call 231-724-6208.