Campground Inspections

In addition to licensing campgrounds, the Environmental Health program is also responsible for inspecting campgrounds and investigating reported campground sanitation complaints.

Related Documents

Temporary Campground

A license from the Michigan Department of Environment, Great Lakes, and Energy (EGLE) is required to operate a temporary campground in the State of Michigan. The Temporary Campground License Application is a triplicate form and may not be downloaded or copied. Please visit your local health department for the application or call the EGLE Campground Program at 517-284-6520. 

Additional information about applying for a temporary campground license, including the procedure (PDF) and campground license and construction permit fees (PDF) can be found on the EGLE website.

When applying for a temporary campground permit, please include:

  • Completed license application
  • Copies of contracts for services to be provided (portable privies, garbage)
  • License fee payment
  • Site plan showing the location and accessibility of the campsites, campground roads and facilities

Where to Submit an Application

The EGLE application must be submitted, with the appropriate State fee (see table on application) and the local fee, to Public Health - Muskegon County at least 14 days prior to the event. The application and fees can be hand delivered or mailed to:
1903 Marquette Ave, Suite S101
Muskegon, MI 49442

Generally, an Environmental Health Officer responds within one business day. The local municipality must also be informed of the intent to establish a temporary campground.

Contact Information

For more information about establishing a temporary campground, call 231-724-6208.