We are open to the public by appointment only as follows:


Monday through Thursday from 10:00-1:00 and 2:00-4:00 for marriage licenses and new CPL Licenses and until 4:30 for all other services. 

Friday from 10:00-11:00 and 12:00-3:00 p.m.  for all services.


Please see calendar on main County Clerk page.

Military Discharge (DD214)

The Muskegon County Clerk's Office issues certified copies of your DD214 if it was placed on file in our office by the veteran after discharge from the service (for National Guard members, you must have been deployed to active duty in order to receive a DD214). If you have been honorably discharged and would like to put your record on file in our office, please bring in your original or a certified DD214.

After discharge from the military, it is recommended that veterans place their military discharge papers on file in their local County Clerk's office. A veteran may file their DD214 with the County Clerk's Office anywhere they live.

Note: Military discharges are confidential and are not allowed to be viewed by the public.

How to Obtain a Copy of Your DD214:

  • In Person: YOU MUST FIRST MAKE AN APPOINTMENT (see bottom of main County Clerk's page).  You must provide your valid driver's license or state ID.
  • By Mail: Print, complete and mail the request form (PDF) with a copy of your valid driver's license or state ID.
  • By Fax: Fax completed request form along with a copy of your valid photo ID and fax to 231-724-6262.

Who is eligible to receive copies:

  • Veteran
  • Person with the veteran's written notarized consent.
  • Heir (documentation required*)
  • Veteran's service officer

*Note: If the veteran is deceased, an heir can obtain a copy of the military discharge by presenting a certified copy of the death certificate.


There is no fee for this service.

If you are unsure where your discharge was filed and would like to request your DD214, you may write to the NPRC Mailing Address:

National Personnel Records Center
Military Personnel Records
1 Archives Drive
St. Louis, MO 63138

Phone: 314-801-0800

Helpful Documents

Peddler's License (License to Sell Goods)

Act 359 of 1921

An act to provide for the issuance of veterans' licenses without cost to former members of the armed forces of the United States to sell their own goods within this state; and to prescribe remedies.


Every honorably discharged member of the armed forces of the United States who served at least 180 days of active duty service in the armed forces or has a service-connected disability as a result of that service, and is a resident of this state has the right to sell his or her own goods within this state if the proceeds from the sale of the goods are to be used for the direct personal benefit or gain of that former member by procuring a license for that purpose issued as provided in this act, which shall be valid for a period of 1 year.

How to Obtain your Peddler's License

Bring your valid Michigan drivers license or state identification card to apply in person at the Muskegon County Clerk's Vital Records Department located at the Michael E Kobza Hall of Justice, 990 Terrace Street, 1st floor. If your DD214 is not on file in our office you will be required to submit a copy of the DD214 to verify that you qualify for the peddler's license.

Fee: There is no cost for this service.

How long is the license valid: The license is valid for a period of 1 year from the time the license is issued.

Additional Information

You may call 231-724-6221 during normal business hours, Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. until 5 p.m. for additional information

For additional information view the PA 359 of 1921 (PDF).