EFFECTIVE 03/24/21 THE COUNTY CLERK'S OFFICE IS CLOSED TO THE PUBLIC. PLEASE USE THE CALENDAR ON THE CLERK MAIN PAGE TO SCHEDULE AN APPOINTMENT https://www.co.muskegon.mi.us/407/County-Clerk
Muskegon County Clerk's 1st floor Vital Records Office is open to the public Monday through Thursday from 10:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. for all services except for CPL renewals, and until 4:30 for all services except marriage license applications and CPL licenses. No appointments are necessary. Until further notice, there will be no ceremonies performed in the Clerk’s Office.
1. If you plan to come into our office, please be advised that you will have to go through a short health-screening procedure which includes having your temperature taken and answering a few questions. Using the QR code below will speed up the entrance process. Just keep the final screen up on your phone to show at the front door.
2. You will be required to wear a mask or face-covering at all times.
3. Due to limited space inside the offices, it will be necessary for you to have all of your requests/applications completed before you are allowed inside the office, including having your identification documents and payment ready.
4. Please keep in mind that the offices close at 4:00 p.m. and some services can take up to 20 minutes to perform. Please allow for this when coming in to our office.
Both applicants must be at least 18 years old. Applicants who are 16 or 17 years of age must appear with their certified birth certificate and their parent or legal guardian (with Order of Guardianship or Custody and photo identification) to complete a consent form.
One or both applicants must be a resident of Muskegon County. If both of you are a resident of another Michigan county, then you must apply in the county in which you live. If both of you reside out of state, you may apply as an out-of-state applicant.
YOU CANNOT APPLY MORE THAN 33 DAYS PRIOR TO YOUR WEDDING DATE.
Please complete the online Affidavit For License to Marry as a public user. The male’s information must be entered first and then the female’s. Make note of the online marriage number at the conclusion of your application to bring with you when picking up the license.
If you do not have access to the internet, you may use the public computers located on the 6th floor of the Michael E. Kobza Hall of Justice between the hours of 10:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. You will need the full names of each parties’ parents and their birthplace, plus social security numbers for both parties who are applying for the marriage license.
Picking Up Your License:
After you finish the online Affidavit for License to Marry, bring the online marriage number provided to our office at your scheduled appointment time. Please use the self-scheduling calender at https://www.co.muskegon.mi.us/407/County-Clerk to schedule your appointment. Only one applicant is allowed to be present when picking up the marriage license. The one who is present must have picture ID, be a resident of Muskegon County and must have the original picture ID or other proof of age of the person not present. Acceptable forms of proof of age and/or residency are: Certified birth certificate, Driver’s License or State Identification, Passport, or Military Identification.
NOTE: During the limited office hours we are waiving the three-day waiting period to pick up your marriage license. After applying, you will leave with your marriage license which will be valid three days from your application date.
There is a three day waiting period so you must apply for and pick up your license at least three days before your wedding date. For example, apply on Monday, the license will be valid on Thursday. The license is valid for 30 days. The three day waiting period starts when the application is notarized in our office.
The fee is $20.00 for Muskegon County residents and $30.00 for out of state residents, and is due when you come in to the Clerk’s office.
The County Clerk’s office will accept payments in the form of:
- check or money order made payable to Muskegon County Clerk, include your phone number and Driver’s License or State ID number;
- credit or debit card at www.govpaynow.com using Pay Location Code (PLC) 5117. Please note an additional service charge is applied to credit or debit card payments by the third party processor.
- Review an excerpt of certain Michigan Marriage Laws (PDF).
- Social Security Administration (if you are changing your name) https://socialsecurityofficenear.me/in/michigan/muskegon/