Following is information concerning application for a Marriage License.
Both applicants must be at least 18 years old. Applicants ages 16 or 17 years of age must appear with their certified birth certificate and their parent or legal guardian (with Order of Guardianship or Custody and photo identification) to complete a consent form.
You may apply for your license between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. on weekdays at the County Clerk's office, located in the Michael E Kobza Hall of Justice at 990 Terrace Street, 1st floor. The following is required of both parties at the time of application:
- Proof of age such as:
- Certified birth certificate as we need full names of all parents, including maiden names and birthplace of parents OR
- Driver's license or State identification card OR
- Passport OR
- Military Identification Card
- Social Security Number
In state residents pay a fee of $20 to be paid when you apply for the license. Out-of-state residents pay a fee of $30 at the time of application.
There is a three day waiting period so you must apply at least three days before your wedding date. For example, apply on Monday, the license will be valid on Thursday. The license is valid for 30 days.
Both applicants do not need to be present at the time of application. The one who is present must be a resident of Muskegon County and must have all the information needed for both parties along with all of the necessary papers.
Photocopies will not be accepted.
- Fill out the online Affidavit For License to Marry. You will login as a Public User.
- Review an excerpt of certain Michigan Marriage Laws (PDF).
- Social Security Administration (if you are changing your name) https://socialsecurityofficenear.me/in/michigan/muskegon/