CONCEALED PISTOL LICENSES
**SEE BOTTOM OF MAIN COUNTY CLERK PAGE TO SCHEDULE APPOINTMENT.**
We are open to the public as follows:
Monday through Friday from 10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. for marriage licenses, and from 10:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. for all other services. CPL licenses are processed from 10:00-11:00; noon to 1:00, and 2:00-4:00. Appointments are available below.
For CPL renewals, please follow the instructions on how to renew your CPL license under our Concealed Pistol License tab.
Please see information below on how to renew your CPL license on-line.
Due to limited space inside the offices, it will be necessary for you to have all of your requests/applications completed before you are allowed inside the office, including having your identification documents and payment ready.
The Muskegon County Clerk's office will not be taking any Renewal CPL's in person. All renewal CPL's must either be filed online or by mail with the Michigan State Police. Scroll down on this page for the instructions on Renewing Online or by mail.
YOU MUST change your address with the County Clerk's office if you move. Complete a Change of Address form and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail it back to the County Clerk's office with a copy of your driver's license with your new address on it so we can update our system.
If your card is lost or stolen, please complete the Duplicate Card Request form and mail the form, along with a copy of your Driver's License and the $10.00 fee to the Muskegon County Clerk.
Due to limited space inside the offices, it will be necessary for you to have all of your requests/applications completed before you are allowed inside the office, including having your identification documents and payment ready. Please keep in mind that our office closes at 4:30 p.m. and some services can take up to 20 minutes to perform. Please allow for this when coming in to our office.
Obtaining a New CPL:
- YOU MUST FIRST MAKE AN APPOINTMENT. To apply for a new CPL you will need to apply in person at the County Clerk’s office in the county in which you reside in after taking a CPL class. When coming in you will need your Driver’s License, your original class certificate, your completed CPL application which you can find online at www.michigan.gov/firearms, (make sure the revision date in the upper left is 2019) and $100.00 for the application fee. You will also be fingerprinted in order to complete the full process for your CPL (see below). When this process is completed you will receive your original certificate back. The certificate that you earned in your class is good for five (5) years from the date on the certificate. If you have any questions you may contact CPLClerk@MuskegonCounty.net
- Fingerprinting can be done at the County Clerk’s office to help expedite the application process. The cost of fingerprinting is $15.00. Your fingerprints are then electronically sent to the Michigan State Police for your background check. Once the full process is completed, which can take up to 45 days, you will receive your CPL license in the mail.
Before you may proceed into the Clerk’s Office, please have your completed and unsigned application, your original class certificate, your ID, and payment of $100 or $115 with fingerprints. We accept cash, check/money order, or charge. Make checks/money orders payable to Muskegon County Clerk and put your ID and telephone number on it.
Once you have all documents out and ready to present to the clerk, please stand by the door until called, adhearing to social distancing rules.
ALL RENEWAL APPLICATIONS:
The County Clerk is now requiring all renewal applications to be done online at www.michigan.gov/cplrenewal. You will need the following:
- CPL Number
- PIN number
- Driver’s License/State Identification Number
- Email Address
Or you can renew by mail by completing the CPL application which can be found at www.michigan.gov/firearms and click on concealed pistol license application.
- Make a check made payable to the “State of Michigan” for $115.00
- Mail all this information to:
Michigan State Police
ATTN: Concealed Pistol License Unit
P.O. Box 30634
Lansing, MI 48909
If you are over a year past your expiration date you must apply as if you were a new applicant. To apply online, your PIN number is highlighted at the bottom of your renewal letter which we mail out three months in advance to the last address you had on file. If you do not have your PIN number to apply online you must contact the County Clerk of where you last received your CPL card from. For Muskegon County, email email@example.com with a picture of your driver's license and request a copy of your renewal letter.
Pistol Safety Training Course
The pistol safety training course required under Michigan law must be a program certified by this state or a national or state firearms training organization and provide at least eight hours of instruction. The program shall provide at least three hours of instruction on a firing range and require firing at least 30 rounds of ammunition. Additionally, the program shall provide five hours of instruction in, but is not limited to providing instruction in, all of the following:
- The safe storage, use, and handling of a pistol including, but not limited to, safe storage, use and handling to protect child safety.
- Ammunition knowledge and the fundamentals of pistol shooting.
- Firearms and the law, including civil liability issues and the use of deadly force. This portion shall be taught by an attorney or a person trained in the use of deadly force.
- Avoiding criminal attack and controlling a violent confrontation.
- All laws that apply to carrying a concealed pistol in Michigan.
To find a CPL class in your area, check the phone book or google CPL Training in Muskegon or Gun Clubs in Muskegon.
The instructor shall be certified by this state or a national organization to teach the eight-hour pistol safety training course required by Michigan law. The instructor must provide a certificate of completion containing the printed name and signature of the course instructor to the applicant. The certificate of completion shall state that the individual successfully completed the course, and contain the statement: "This course complies with section 5j of 1927 PA 372."
The certificate must also contain, on its face or by attachment, the instructor’s telephone number and the name and telephone number of the state agency or the state or national firearm training organization that has certified the individual as an instructor, his or her instructor certification number, and the expiration date of that certificate.
Published in accordance with MCL 28.425 January 4, 2016