We are open to the public Monday through Thursday from 8:30 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. for marriage licenses and new CPL Licenses and until 4:30 for all other services. We are open Fridays from 8:30 a.m. until 3:00 p.m. EXCEPT FOR FRIDAY, OCTOBER 22 WE WILL BE OPEN FROM 8:30 A.M. - 5:00 P.M.
For CPL renewals, please follow the instructions on how to renew your CPL license under our Concealed Pistol License tab.
1. If you plan to come into our office, please be advised that you will have to answer two health questions. Using the QR code below will speed up the entrance process. Just keep the final screen up on your phone to show at the front door.
2. Due to limited space inside the offices, it will be necessary for you to have all of your requests/applications completed before you are allowed inside the office, including having your identification documents and payment ready.
3. Please keep in mind that the offices close at 4:30 p.m. and some services can take up to 20 minutes to perform. Please allow for this when coming in to our office.
Application Process - New and Renewal
Before you begin, please note:
- Your signature must match the name that has been printed as your "Commissioned Name." This is the signature that you will use when notarizing documents. This is also the way your name should appear on your Notary Bond.
- There are three separate costs/fees associated with becoming a notary.
- Do not enter the Clerk’s Office until you have all of your documents in order, including: completed Application, Surety Bond, Photo ID, and Payment. Please read all instructions below. Once you have all necessary items in hand, please stand by the door until you are called.
1. You have the option of completing the Notary Application two ways:
- Complete the application online through the State of Michigan eServices portal, print and bring to our office. You will then have the option to upload the completed application back to the portal with payment instead of mailing it.
- Complete or print off the Notary Application through the Secretary of State’s website: NOTARY APPLICATION Only applications with the revision date after 12/2020 will be accepted. If you print off the application to complete, it must be legible. Print and bring to our office.
Your signature must match the name that has been printed as your "Commissioned Name." This is the signature that you will use when notarizing documents.
2. Obtain a surety bond in the amount of $10,000. Bonds are available through insurance agencies or bonding companies. The approximate cost is $55, although prices may vary from company to company. Your application signature, your commissioned name and surety bond must all match. If they do not all match, we will be unable to process your notary application. Do not sign your bond until requested to do so by County Clerk staff.
- The only exception to obtaining a surety bond is if you are an attorney. An attorney in good standing with the State Bar of Michigan is not required to obtain and file a surety bond with the County Clerk’s office. An attorney is required to go to the County Clerk’s office in their county of residence to take the Constitutional Oath and obtain the County Seal and Certification.
3. File the surety bond and full Power of Attorney with the County Clerk’s Office in the county where you reside. In Muskegon County, the filing fee is $10.00. If you are paying by check or money order, please have it made out to Muskegon County Clerk and indicate your driver’s license number and telephone number on the check or money order.
4. County Clerk staff will verify that you have complied with the necessary requirements in the designated area on your completed Notary Public Application. If all requirements are met, they will administer the Oath of Office.
5. Sign the application, agreeing to all conditions stated.
6. If you completed your application through the eServices portal, you have the option to upload your application back to the eServices portal and make your payment online.
7. Forward your completed application with the $10 non-refundable processing fee to the following address:
Michigan Department of State
Office of the Great Seal
7064 Crowner Drive
Lansing, MI 48919
Do not send cash, please send a check or money order payable to the "State of Michigan".