How can I get a Public Defender on a felony case?

On Felony cases, the Defendant may appear before a Magistrate for arraignment if they receive notice of the charges. Usually though, the person is arrested on the warrant by the police and taken to an arraignment. In either situation, the Defendant will be asked whether or not a court appointed attorney is needed. A financial information form will be given to the Defendant to complete if he or she desires a Public Defender. 

If the Public Defender is appointed, in-custody clients can expect that a member of the Public Defender office before his/her court date to discuss the case. 

Defendants who are not in custody are given information on how to contact the Office to find out which Public Defender has been assigned to him or her and encouraged to make an appointment to meet with the attorney.

Show All Answers

1. Who is the Public Defender for Muskegon County?
2. Where are the Public Defenders located?
3. When should one be represented by a private rather than a public defender attorney?
4. What if I hire a private attorney and run out of money before the case is over?
5. How can I be appointed a Public Defender on a Misdemeanor case?
6. How can I get a Public Defender on a felony case?
7. How do I find out who my lawyer is?
8. When is my next court date?
9. What if I cannot attend my court date?
10. What do I do if I miss my court date?
11. How do I change my lawyer?
12. What if my lawyer is not doing his or her job?
13. My witnesses are leaving town. They are about to erase the video. What do I do?
14. What can I do to help my case?
15. What if I do not have an attorney but have questions about a criminal matter?