What can I do to help my case?

You have the right to remain silent.  Do it!  Most of the people in prison talked themselves into those cells.  No talking means no Facebook conversations.  No tweets.  No letters or phone calls from jail speaking of your case.  No coded messages.  No jailhouse lawyers or bunky discussions about your case, even if you trust him!  No talking!

Gather your evidence.  Get the names and contact information of your witnesses.  Copy texts, email and Facebook postings that support your case. Read your police reports and be prepared to discuss your case with your attorney.

People who make appointments to see their attorneys get better results than people who wait until the day of trial and meet their lawyers at court.

Show All Answers

1. Who is the Public Defender for Muskegon County?
2. Where are the Public Defenders located?
3. When should one be represented by a private rather than a public defender attorney?
4. What if I hire a private attorney and run out of money before the case is over?
5. How can I be appointed a Public Defender on a Misdemeanor case?
6. How can I get a Public Defender on a felony case?
7. How do I find out who my lawyer is?
8. When is my next court date?
9. What if I cannot attend my court date?
10. What do I do if I miss my court date?
11. How do I change my lawyer?
12. What if my lawyer is not doing his or her job?
13. My witnesses are leaving town. They are about to erase the video. What do I do?
14. What can I do to help my case?
15. What if I do not have an attorney but have questions about a criminal matter?