How do I change my lawyer?

While the taxpayers of this county have generously paid to provide you with an attorney, they have not paid for you to have a choice.  That is the bad news.  The good news is the Muskegon County Public Defenders are not like other public defenders you may have had an association with.  We care; however, sometimes we will have to tell you bad news or disagree with you.  You may, at any time, hire your own lawyer if you are unhappy with the one you have.  If you cannot afford to hire, you will receive a hard working advocate, but you cannot chose who that person is.

Show All Answers

1. Who is the Public Defender for Muskegon County?
2. Where are the Public Defenders located?
3. When should one be represented by a private rather than a public defender attorney?
4. What if I hire a private attorney and run out of money before the case is over?
5. How can I be appointed a Public Defender on a Misdemeanor case?
6. How can I get a Public Defender on a felony case?
7. How do I find out who my lawyer is?
8. When is my next court date?
9. What if I cannot attend my court date?
10. What do I do if I miss my court date?
11. How do I change my lawyer?
12. What if my lawyer is not doing his or her job?
13. My witnesses are leaving town. They are about to erase the video. What do I do?
14. What can I do to help my case?
15. What if I do not have an attorney but have questions about a criminal matter?