Campaign Finance reports filed with the Muskegon County Clerk's Office may be viewed and printed online for local, school, and county-level Candidate Committees, Ballot Question Committees, and Political Action Committees. Reports that are available date back to the 2007 Elections. Documents filed prior to that date are available for review in person at the Muskegon County Clerk's Office - Elections Division, located at:
990 Terrace Street
Muskegon, MI 49442.
Copies are $0.25 per page.
Campaign Finance Search
The Campaign Finance search online allows you to:
- Search campaign finance documents for political committees
- Determine who is donating money to political candidates or committees and the amount of those contributions
- Print campaign finance records from your own computer
As soon as an individual becomes a "candidate" under Michigan's Campaign Finance Act, P.A. 388 of 1976, as amended, he or she has 10 calendar days to form a Candidate Committee. After the committee's formation date, the candidate has an additional 10 calendar days to register the committee. A candidate registers a Candidate Committee by filing a Statement of Organization form with his or her filing official. A person becomes a candidate under the Campaign Finance Act on the date he or she:
- Files a nominating petition, a filing fee or an affidavit of candidacy
- Receives a contribution or makes an expenditure, or gives consent to someone else to receive a contribution or make an expenditure with a view to bringing about the individual's nomination or election to an elective office
- Is nominated for an elective office by a political party caucus or convention
- A candidate who seeks a precinct delegate position is not required to file a Statement of Organization
- A candidate who seeks a school board position in a school district with a pupil membership count of 2,400 or less and receives or spends $1,000 or less for the election is not required to file a Statement of Organization
Campaign Finance Filing Information
Reports to be filed with the Muskegon County Clerk's Office can be filed in person, by mail, or by email.
- In Person: File in our office on or before the deadline for filing (preferred).
- By Mail: Must be postmarked on or before the deadline for filing.
- By Email: Scan your report and email it to us to with subject line Campaign Finance Report, request read receipt, on or before the deadline for filing.
- 2019 & 2020 Campaign Statement Due Dates
- Candidate Committee Forms and Instructions
- Visit the State of Michigan's website for information regarding campaign finance laws and to view a searchable database for state-level committees
- For federal campaign finance disclosure, visit the Federal Election Commission