The Muskegon County Airport is a key regional asset. A primary tool used by the County for the management of this asset is airport planning.
Airport planning is a systematic process establishing guidelines for the efficient development of the airport's infrastructure consistent with local, state, and national goals. A key planning objective is the effective use of airport resources to satisfy the region's aviation demands in a financially feasible manner. This provides the foundation for operating the airport to meet the needs of all users by creating a plan for the development and implementation of planned projects. Airport projects for planning, design, and construction are governed by federal and state requirements.
Airport planning may be as broad based as the national system plan or more centrally focused as an airport master plan or individual project for a specific airport. The primary types of airport planning may be classified as follows:
- National System Planning (NPIAS)
- State Airport System Planning (SASP)
- Local Airport Master Planning
The airport master plan typically represents the airport’s blueprint for long-term (5-20 year) development. A few of the goals of a master plan are:
- To provide a graphic representation of existing airport features, future airport development and anticipated land use.
- To establish a realistic financial plan and schedule to support the development.
- To validate the plan technically and procedurally through investigation of concepts and alternatives on technical, economic and environmental grounds.
- To prepare and present a plan to the public that adequately addresses all relevant issues and satisfies local, state and federal regulations.
- To establish a framework for a continuous planning process.
Strategic Business Plan
The Airport is currently developing a Strategic Business Plan to complement the Airport Master Plan process.
Keep up to date on development projects at the Airport.
Airport Business Park
Keep up to date on development projects at the Airport Business Park.
Find out more about incentives for developing at the Airport.