Michigan Law requires all dogs 4 months and older to be licensed. Also, all newly acquired
dogs must be licensed within 30 days. As of October 1, 2011, the due date for purchasing
your Muskegon County dog license became linked with the month of your dog’s rabies
vaccination. In addition, three year dog licenses are available only when your dog has a new 3 year rabies vaccination.
As of October 1, 2012, the Dog Licensing program is no longer part of Public Health and is
now part of the Muskegon County Treasurer's Office. For questions related to dog licensing,
please call (231) 724-6261.
For questions related to animal control/complaints
please call (231) 724-6007.
How much do dog licenses cost?
|Type of license
||1 year license
||3 year license
||See below for
|Senior Citizen (62 or older)*
|Puppy License (4-7 months)**
* You must provide your birth date on the application to qualify for discount
** The puppy license must be purchased on time, or late fees also apply
*** A license is considered late if not purchased in the same MONTH that the rabies vaccination was given. The late fee is the dog license plus $5 for the first month late and $10 per month for each additional
Late Fee Example:
Your dog’s rabies vaccination was given on December 22, 2013, but you
forget to purchase the license. You don’t remember that you needed to
purchase a license until March 2014, so you then bring the proof of
rabies certificate down to the County Treasurer’s Office to purchase a
license. Your total due is going to be the original amount for the license
based on the chart above ^ plus $25.00 (3 months late), because by law
you needed to purchase the license by the last day of December 2013.
Which license can I buy?
- If your dog was not given a new rabies vaccine this month (wasn’t due for a shot), or was only given a one year vaccine, you are only eligible to purchase a one year license
- If your dog’s rabies vaccination WAS due this month and he/she was given a three year vaccine, you are eligible to purchase a three year license or a one year license
Where can I apply for/renew my dog's license?
- You can apply for a new dog license or renew an existing dog license at:
The Muskegon County Treasurer’s Office
173 E. Apple Ave Suite 104 in Muskegon.
Hours are Monday-Friday 8am-4:45 pm
Or at the following Townships and Cities throughout Muskegon County
Blue Lake Township
1491 Owasippe Rd.
5865 Airline Rd.
8915 Whitbeck Rd.
245 S. Canada Rd.
1990 Apple Ave.
8138 Hts. Ravenna
Cedar Creek Township
6556 Sweeter Rd.
8776 Main St.
405 East Colby Road
2735 W. Giles Rd.
4814 Henry St.
7644 Durham Rd.
5428 E. Apple Ave.
8778 Ferry St.
3770 Blackmer Road
White River Township
6925 Indian Bay Road
How do I apply fo a new license?
- Fill out and print application dog license application (PDF).
- Provide a copy of the current rabies certificate from your veterinarian.
- Provide a copy of the spay/neuter certificate, if applicable.
- Visit one of the offices above or mail in application see if applying by mail below
If applying in person
Bring all of the above to The Muskegon County Treasurer’s Office or any
of the local offices in the chart above.
When applying in person, you always have the option to pay in cash,
check or money order. The County Treasurer’s Office does accept
Debit/Credit card payments with a small convenience fee added, but not
all local offices are equipped to take card payments so please verify with
them if that is your only payment option.
If applying by mail
Send all of the above along with a self-addressed, stamped envelope
(postage is 70˘ for one tag, plus 21˘ for each additional tag, unless your
dog has received a permanent tag and will not be receiving a new tag,
postage is only one stamp..49˘) to:
Muskegon County Treasurer
173 E Apple Ave. Suite 104
Muskegon, MI 49442.
When applying by mail, please pay with a check or money order made
out to Muskegon County Treasurer.
What is a permanent dog tag?
As of January 1, 2012, Muskegon County began issuing Permanent Dog Tags (the
metal charm). This does not mean that you do not have to renew the license anymore.
You are still required to renew the actual license every year/3 years and provide proof of
current rabies vaccination, but you will not receive a new metal tag every year. It can be
replaced at any time if it is lost, upon owner’s request
Is the metal dog tag my license?
No. The metal dog tag is used to identify your dog. It is not the license. The license is the paperwork
you receive after completing the application. You should save the paperwork until that license
How do I get a replacement dog tag?
If you lose the dog tag (or the paper license) you can get a replacement at no charge. You will need
to request the replacement in person at any of the offices above.
What if I no longer have the dog?
If you no longer have the dog, please call us at (231)724-6261. Let us know if your dog is deceased,
sold, given away, stolen or missing, or if you have moved out of the county. This will prevent us from
sending delinquent notices for a dog you no longer have.
What else should dog owners know?
- License – License your dog and renew the license when it expires
- Leash – Control your dog with a leash, not more than 6 feet long, when in public places
- Vaccinate – Keep your dog’s vaccinations, especially rabies, up-to-date
- Don’t Litter – Clean up after your dog and properly dispose of pet waste
- Prevent bites – Avoid situations that may result in your dog biting someone. If a dog bite
occurs, please call (231)724-1288
- Spay/Neuter – Spay/neuter your dog to control the over- population of unwanted animals
FOR MORE INFORMATION OR TO ASK A QUESTION, PLEASE CALL 231-724-6261