- Sustainability Home
- Muskegon County Household Recycling and Disposal Guide
- Event Recycling Initiative
- Residential and Commercial Energy Efficiency: Resources and Incentives
- Water Stewardship
- Transportation Efficiency
- Educational and Community Enrichment Opportunities
- Recreational and Cultural Amenities
- Support Your Community and Your Local Economy!
- Resources for Business, Entrepreneurs and Non-profit Organizations
- Community Partners Page
- Contact Us
What is Sustainability & the Triple Bottom Line?
The word Sustainability has multiple definitions in many contexts. According to the Encarta World English Dictionary, it means “able to be maintained,” others define sustainability as “the ability to meet the needs of today without compromising the needs of tomorrow”, or simply “the capacity to endure.” When applied in the context of our current rate of resource consumption, environmental degradation, land use, the state of our economies and human health, one can reasonably conclude that our current path is not sustainable.
The concept of the Triple Bottom Line provides a framework for thinking about the shared challenges we face and for developing paths to achieve sustainable solutions. The Triple Bottom Line values equally Social,
Economic and Environmental Capital: People, Profit and Planet!
Here at Muskegon County, we are in the process of examining the sustainability of our organization, and the County as a whole, and have committed to making a collective effort to reduce waste, recover recyclable resources; increase energy, transportation and water efficiency; support our local economy, improve the health and well-being of our employees and our residents, while sustaining a healthy bottom line. We recognize the scope of the challenges ahead and encourage participation from municipalities, residents, businesses, educators and industry alike.
This website is intended to be a clearinghouse of information for Muskegon County residents and West Michiganders. We invite you to spend some time exploring the resources within, and encourage you to examine your ecological footprint, find ways to support local commerce and enrich your community. You can also find out about special events and new programs under development by following the Muskegon County Sustainability effort here and on Facebook.
Thank you for clicking with us and check back often! Together we will make Muskegon County a premier place to live, work and play!
- A Look Ahead
- Sustainability Plan (pdf)
Sustainability Plan Graphic Summary (pdf)
- Muskegon Area-wide Plan
(link to pdf on wmsrdc.org)
Muskegon Area-wide Plan Appendices
(link to pdf on wmsrdc.org)
- In the News
Muskegon County completes LED lighting upgrade at Heritage Landing - Read More on MLive.com
- Muskegon County Advanced Lighting Technology Demonstration (ALTD):
Case Study and Energy Savings Report &
Lighting Calculator tool (source: Michigan Energy Office )
- Whitehall's Alcoa Howmet providing money, volunteers for Heritage Landing improvement project - Read More on MLive.com
- Placement of drug drop boxes at local police departments expands Muskegon County's medication disposal program - Read More on MLive.com
- Recent Milestone
- Energy Efficiency Improvements at the County of Muskegon: View the Smart Decisions in Tough Times video below to learn more.