Mark your calendars, the Muskegon County Household Hazardous Waste Events will be the 4th Saturday of April and 3rd Saturday of October through 2018. The dates for 2016 are:
- Saturday 23 April 2016
- Saturday 15 October 2016
Click on Poster or Here to View and Print Muskegon County Recycling Event Poster
Click on Poster or Here to View and Print Medication Disposal Poster
- THIS COLLECTION NO LONGER ACCEPTS LATEX PAINT. LATEX PAINT MAY BE RECYCLED IF IN USABLE CONDITION AT HABITAT FOR HUMANITY RESTORE LOCATIONS. LATEX PAINT THAT IS IN RUSTED CANS, IS OR HAS BEEN FROZEN, IS NOT VIABLE FOR RECYCLING. THIS PAINT SHOULD BE SOLIDIFIED WITH KITTY LITTER, OIL SORBENT, SAW DUST, OR OTHERWISE DRIED AND PLACED IN YOUR REGULAR TRASH. OIL BASED, OR LEAD PAINT WILL CONTINUE TO BE ACCEPTED.
- On the above referenced Saturday’s ONLY, the collection events will be held from
9AM – 1PM. The Household hazardous waste program will offer collection of household
hazardous waste, along with electronics recycling, tire recycling, and confidential document
shredding at 1350 East Keating, in the City of Muskegon.
- The expanded materials that are accepted are for the above referenced Saturday collection
events ONLY and will not be accepted during the regular hours of the household hazardous
waste collection events held the 2nd and 4th Friday of each month, May thru October.
- The following is a list of acceptable materials at the above referenced Saturday collection events:
- Tires, up to 7 and no larger than 34 inches in diameter
- Electronics, which includes computers, peripherals, TV’s and other devices
- Confidential Documents, Personal documents will be shredded onsite
- Household Hazardous Wastes which include:
- petroleum products,
- aerosol cans with hazardous product or paint in can (no empty cans),
- oil based paint products,
- fluorescent light bulbs including compact fluorescent bulbs
- and other products with prior approval.
- All batteries accepted at this event.
- This Collection event is free to Muskegon County residents and no business waste is accepted.
- The collection will be closing promptly at 1 PM so please come early.
- Cars in the lot at 1 PM will be serviced, however after that time the lot will be closed to further traffic.
Contact Greg Leverence at 231-724-6001 or firstname.lastname@example.org with further questions.
Muskegon County Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Program
Muskegon County Department of Public Works offers a free disposal program to Muskegon County residents for unwanted Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) generated in county. Please note that Commercial and Industrial waste is prohibited. The goal of the HHW program is to divert hazardous materials from the landfill in order to protect residents and the environment. Should you possess any of the following materials, the HHW program will dispose of them in a safe and responsible manner.
- Mercury or mercury containing devices (i.e. Compact Florescent Light bulbs, mercury thermometers or thermostats, etc.)
- Petroleum products*
- Automotive Fluids
- Aerosol cans (containing hazardous materials)
- Acids (i.e. Batteries, Muriatic Acid)**
- Bases (i.e. Drain cleaner)
- Alkaline and Rechargeable(Li-Ion, Ni-Cad, etc) batteries. No Lead Acid (Car) batteries are accepted**
- Other products with approval
* Recycling Used Oil is preferred over disposal as HHW. Used oil can be recycled, free of charge, at any AutoZone location among other outlets. Click here for a complete list of Used Oil recycling options in Muskegon County.
As a last resort, if you cannot find a use/recycling outlet for old leftover latex paint, it may be disposed of with your household trash as long as it is dried or solidified by adding kitty litter, (or other drying media) and leaving it open to dry in a well-ventilated area, away from children and animals.
**LEAD ACID BATTERIES (i.e. car/boat batteries) are NOT accepted.
NOTE: Latex Paint is not accepted. The best way to dispose of paint is to use it up or recycle it! If you’re purchasing paint for a project, consider the area you have to cover and use a paint calculator to ensure you’re not buying too much.
If you have leftover (never-frozen) latex paint that you wish to recycle, you can bring it to the Muskegon County Habitat for Humanity ReStore Locations or to Port City Paints/RepcoLite Paints, Inc.
Regular Collection Hours:
The second and fourth Friday each month, May – October
1:00 – 3:00 PM
Late fall and winter collection is by appointment only. Appointments are made only for those who are not able to wait for a normal collection day.
Muskegon County HHW Regular Collection Location:
Household Hazardous Waste Site
(Rear Lot of Pound Buddies)
If you have questions regarding materials that you’d like to dispose of, please contact Greg Leverence at Muskegon County Solid Waste at 231-724-6003.
Medication and Sharps Disposal in Muskegon County:
For information on the proper disposal of prescription and over the counter drugs, please visit www.mamdp.com.