Suicide Prevention    
 Combating Stigma      
 About Us
 Handbook (English)
 Manual en Español
 Service And Provider Guide
 Frequently Asked Questions
 Recipient Rights
 Performance Speaks
 News And Events
 NAMI/CMH Resource Center
 Consumer Corner
 CMH Board Minutes
 Provider Manual
 Service Provider Training
 Contact Us
 Request For Proposals
 Muskegon County

Quick Find

You may need the free Adobe Acrobat Reader to view some documents found
on this web site.

Frequently Asked Questions >

Frequently Asked Questions

Who is eligible for CMH services?
Eligibility for services is determined by the evaluation of an individual's presenting problem, type of insurance, and county of residence. This can often be accomplished by a short telephone screening, however it may be necessary to schedule a face-to-face assessment.

How do I start receiving services?
You may contact our Access Center at 231-720-3200. The staff will ask you a series of questions to determine the most appropriate service available in the community for your problem.

How much will it cost me and what types of insurance do you accept?
We accept Medicaid and some types of insurance. We also treat people who do not have insurance. Payment for services are based on your ability to pay, which is determined at your first appointment.

What do I do if I need transportation to get to CMH?
If you think you may need assistance with transportation, be sure to inform the Access staff person when you arrange for your first appointment. CMH staff are aware of resources that may assist you in finding resources in the community to get a ride to your first appointment.

How do I know which providers are available for me to make my choice?
This information is available in Customer Services brochures/literature. If you have a case manager, he/she will assist you in getting information about the number of providers available, who they are, where they are located, etc. For some services, the case manager may encourage you to meet one or more providers before making your choice.

What is Person-centered Planning?
Person-centered planning is all about your hopes and dreams. You and the people who are important to you talk about your life: Where do you want to live? How do you want to spend your day? How do you express your spirituality? Where do you want to work, volunteer, or go to school? Do you want supports (i.e. guardianships, financial payee) in areas of your life? PCP respects and honors cultural differences and targets your strengths.
Person-centered Planning:


  • Puts the consumer in charge Is about making choices Builds on your strengths Identifies resources at CMH and in the community Lets you choose who will help you build your plan
  • Addresses health and safety issues

How does Person-centered planning work?
Person-centered planning occurs in five parts:

  1. Pre-planning activities -this is when you choose who will facilitate your meeting, if you will use a self-determination plan or not, who you want to be at the meeting, the topics you wish to talk about, where the meeting will be held, and what time is best to hold the meeting. Planning for your needs right now and for things you will need in the future. Making sure all of the people you count on work together. Asking for your opinions so the plan is about your dreams and goals.
  2. Changing your plan when your wants or needs change.
  3. Making sure all of the people you count on work together.
  4. Asking for your opinions so the plan is about your dreams and goals.
  5. Changing your plan when your wants or needs change.

What is Self-determination?
Self-determination is an option allowing you to have personal control over the funds that provide the services and supports you receive from CMH. The person-centered plan allows you to select a service provider from the available network. With assistance, you may also control the financial resources to purchase your own supports or services. Self-determination "is an opportunity to have the freedom and support to make your life dreams come true," and gives you:
  • Freedom to plan your life with the supports to make your life goals come true; Support in arranging resources and personnel to assist you in living in your community; Authority to control a set sum of dollars to purchase supports necessary to your life plan; and
  • Responsibility to use your dollars wisely and to give back to the community.

What is recipient rights?
The Recipient Rights Office is a resource for recipients, staff, and service providers of Community Mental Health Services of Muskegon County. The Recipient Rights Office investigates allegations of abuse, neglect and other rights violations as identified in the Michigan Mental Health Code.

How do I refer someone to CMH?
We accept referrals from a variety of resources including schools, doctor offices, and mental health professionals. Concerned family or friends may call to inquire about services, but anyone over the age of 18 who serves as their own guardian will have to call to make their own referral. Parents or legal guardians can make referrals for anyone under the age of 18.

Where are you located?
We have several locations, each offering specific services. See the [Locations] page for more information.

Do you have the phone number for ... ?

Frequently Requested Community Phone Numbers & Locations
Agency Phone Address
American Cancer Society (231) 722-7407 1385 E. Laketon Ave., Muskegon, MI 49442
American Red Cross Muskegon-Oceana Chapter (231) 726-3555 313 W. Webster Ave., Muskegon, MI 49440
AMI-Muskegon SHAIR (231) 737-5717 1011 2nd St., Muskegon, MI  49442
The ARC Muskegon (231) 777-2006 1145 E. Wesley Ave., Muskegon, MI 49442
Catholic Charities West Michigan (231) 726-4735 1095 3rd St., Muskegon, MI 49441
Child Abuse Council of Muskegon (231) 728-6410 1781 Peck St., Muskegon, MI 49441
MHP Life Counseling (231) 726-3582 125 E. Southern Ave., Muskegon, MI 49442
Disability Connection (231) 722-0088 27 E. Clay Ave., Muskegon, MI  49442
Every Woman's Place (EWP) (231) 759-7909 1221 W. Laketon Ave., Muskegon, MI 49441
Department of Human Services (231) 733-3700 2700 Baker, Muskegon Hts., MI 49444
Go Bus Muskegon Area Transit (MATS) (231) 724-6420 2624 6th St., Muskegon Hts., MI 49444
Goodwill Industries of W. Michigan (231) 722-7871 271 E. Apple Ave., Muskegon, MI 49442
Health Department, Muskegon County (231) 724-6246 209 E. Apple Ave., Muskegon, MI 49442
Lemonade Stand of Muskegon (231) 773-6118 1192 Jefferson St., Muskegon, MI  49441
Michigan Rehabilitation Services (MRS) (231) 773-9151 316 Morris Ave., Ste. 250, Muskegon, MI  49440
Social Security Administration (SSA) (231) 759-2525 340 Morris Ave, Muskegon, MI  49440
Webster House Youth Services (231) 759-7909 1221 W. Laketon Ave., Muskegon, MI 49441
Mediation & Restorative Services at the Brian Mattson Center for Restorative Justice

(231) 727-6001


27 E. Clay Ave., Muskegon, MI  49442
West Michigan Therapy, Inc (231) 728-2138 1823 Commerce St.,  Muskegon, MI  49442
West Michigan Veterans Services (231) 724-7143 165 E. Apple Ave., Bldg. F, Muskegon, MI 49442


Community Mental Health Services of Muskegon County
376 E. Apple Ave.
Muskegon, Ml 49442
(231) 724-1111
TTY (231) 720-3280
Hours of Administration: M-F 8-5pm (Closed Holidays)
Julia Rupp, Executive Director

Emergency Helpline: (231) 722-HELP (4357)